Learning becomes an adventure
June 21 – July 18, 2020
Brehm Summer is a holistic, four-week, co-ed boarding program for children with learning challenges ages 11–18. Designed to advance students’ academic, social, and emotional skills, the program helps them acquire a better understanding of themselves, their peers, and the world around them. This immersive and potentially transformative experience allows students to break out of their usual routine, gain fresh perspectives, and make new friends. Team-building exercises inspire camaraderie and self-confidence as students engage in a learning experience that captures their imaginations and makes learning fun.
An Ideal Setting
Brehm Preparatory School’s 100-acre campus is located in scenic Carbondale, Illinois. Named one of the Top 101 Best Outdoor Towns, Carbondale is the gateway to the Shawnee National Forest with over 286,000 acres of unspoiled land Students enjoy adventures and activities throughout the region and visit an array of metropolitan cultural destinations.
An Amazing Faculty & Staff
Brehm’s summer faculty are skilled educators, practiced in the art of engaging students in academic and experiential learning endeavors that inspire new levels of individual effort and personal growth. Specialized staff includes ASHA-certified, speech-language pathologists. The medical and clinical support team includes nurses, social workers, counselors, and clinical psychologists available on a 24/7 basis.
Boarding & Meals
Summer students stay in residential dorms on campus. All dorms are fully staffed with two dorm parents and multiple assistants who exemplify Brehm’s supportive family-style living environment. All meals are included in the tuition, including those for off-campus adventures.
Accepting applications for summer 2020. To apply, please complete our online application today or call Brian Taylor, M.Ed. at (618) 457-0371.
Adventure and recreational activities enable students to have fun, develop balance in their social lives, grow culturally and emotionally, and gain self-esteem as they learn to plan and set goals and increase their awareness of leisure resources that help develop the whole person.
Academic curriculum targets skills in an experiential learning environment. Students rotate through remedial math, reading comprehension, writing, social pragmatics, and elective courses which vary to complement each year’s theme and accommodate individual student needs. Examples include arts, computer animation videography, yoga, and more!
Our holistic summer program is focused on improving interpersonal, collaborative, executive functioning, healthy living, and life skills. ASHA-certified, speech-language pathologists provide direct therapy and help students develop the skills that lead to more positive, productive, and satisfying interactions with their peers.
Common Weekday Schedule*
8 am–9 am: Breakfast in the Dining Hall
9 am–12 pm: Adventure Learning
12 pm–1pm: Lunch
1 pm–4 pm: Academics or Arrowsmith**
4 pm–5 pm: Free Time
5 pm–6 pm: Dinner
6pm–9 pm: Recreation & Electives
9 pm–10 pm: Cool Down & Lights Out!
*Flexible, subject to individual student needs.
**Arrowsmith participation is limited to students enrolled in Jr. High and High School during the academic year.
Weekend Activities & Adventures:
Electives, recreation, and adventure activities are designed to complement each year’s new game-based theme. Off-campus adventures – from city field trips to overnight camping – are scheduled every other weekend.
Summer Pre-Admission Process
- Complete our online Pre-Admission Questionnaire.
- Send us your child’s current (within three years) neuropsychological evaluation along with supporting documents such as an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan (if applicable), via email, fax mail.
- Let’s talk! After reviewing your completed Pre-Admissions Questionnaire, we’ll contact you to set up a call with a member of our Admissions team. If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to contact us.
Summer Application Process
- Our Admissions team will send a link to our online Application Form.
- Submit the application along with a $75 nonrefundable application fee.
- Summer applicants have a choice between an on-campus visit and interview similar to our regular school applicants (Recommended for families considering fall enrollment), or a Video interview.
* International Students: Additional admission steps are required for international students. Please contact our Admissions office for more information.